Tuesday 21 February 2012

Pancakes

It's Pancake Day! So I'm reposting this recipe :)




So... my friend Keris (of Fitter London) got into making Bread with Ground Almond instead of flour (to cut the long story short, this is part of Paleo eating... I won't go into it but for more info, check out the Fitter London Blog).

One day, I was REALLY hungry and couldn't wait the 20 minutes for paleo bread to bake so I thought...
"If I add less ground almonds and some honey, surely I could make pancakes instead."
It worked and I loved them... they were a little dry though. I thought back to when I was a teenager and my Mummy taught me how to make pancakes... one of the ingredients was MILK... so next time I made the pancakes, I added coconut milk and.... my recipe was born!

Ingredients
2 eggs
5 heaped tablespoons of ground almonds
4-5 tablespoons of coconut milk
1 teaspoon of honey

Pancakes
1. Break eggs into a bowl. Add the ground almonds and whisk till smooth (consistency should be very thick, like cake mix).
2. Add the coconut milk and mix (should be of a creamy consistency, a little thinner than cake mix)
3. Add the honey and mix
4. Add a teaspoon of oil (I used extra virgin olive oil) to a frying pan and allow to heat up (1 minute should do)
5. Add a serving spoon amount to the pan and move around in pan till it forms a circular shape. Allow to cook for about 2 minutes... keep checking with a spatula till it gets dark brown and is firm.
6. Flip the pancake and allow the other side to cook - takes roughly the same time.
7. Flip onto a plate and repeat steps 5-6 till mix is used up

Serving suggestions: 
  •   I used blueberries (I love them) and a little more honey (instead of maple syrup).
  • @divafactor on twitter tried out my recipe and served it with raspberries, strawberries and blueberries

  • CucinCeri has a recipe HERE. She served hers with: bananas, nuts and blueberries
  • Whatever you like... just make sure it's something healthy ;)
Alternatives:
  • CucinaCeri used ground flaxseed instead of ground almonds
  • If you're in Nigeria, I've been told about wheat meal.. I'm not 100% sure what it is yet but hope to try it it out soon.
  • Another option is coconut flour.
If you try out this recipe, please email me a picture and I'll post here :)

5 comments:

Ceri said...

Your pancakes look delicious :) I can't wait to try your recipe and compare them to mine ;)

Ms zee said...

oh Jesus wheat meal is the business dammit I have some now I think I will try this mummmmyyyyy mummy o where are you lol

Unknown said...

These look so gorgeous and I'm sure they taste equally gorgeous as coconut milk and honey are some of my favourite ingredients!

Omotoyosi said...

Mmmm, looks delish!

Natural Nigerian said...

I will definitely be trying this. Sometimes I get a hankering for pancakes but stay off because I only know how the white flour recipe.

Thanks for sharing.