Monday 5 November 2012

Guest Post: Blackberry, Strawberry & Banana Smoothie

I always mean to get into the smoothie habit, maybe one or two a week but I forget! A few weeks back I was ill and someone suggested an orange, lemon, lime and ginger smoothie packed with vitamins and antioxidants. It tasted great and I had 2 servings in one day! :)

I haven't tried the smoothie below yet but I will soon, I'll probably add a couple of handfuls of spinach because I love my greens ;)

Now to Aloted's post...

Growing up and till now I am not able to eat fruits in their natural state, they make me puke. I have no idea why. Banana seems to be the only fruit I can eat without feeling like puking. However it is my desire to be healthy, I want to have my five-a-day, or at least close to it so I decided to go the smoothie way!

The first time I had a smoothie was when my sister made some for me. It was yummy and I totally loved the concept! Especially since I could get my nutrients from fruits and veggies this way.

I haven’t really been faithful with making and drinking smoothies but recently I decided to change my ways.

Today I would like to share with you one of my very simple smoothie recipes: Blackberry, Strawberry and Banana Smoothie.

On a good day you would never catch me eating strawberries. They taste sour to me but the good thing about having strawberries in a smoothie is you won’t notice the sourness.

What you’ll need:
  1. Frozen Blackberries & Strawberries ½ pack (I think frozen works best for smoothie, though some people add in ice cubes. They are also cheaper and still have similar nutritional value to fresh ones) 
  2. 1 banana 
  3. 3-4 heaped table spoons of Greek Yoghurt (you could use natural yoghurt as well)
  4. Apple Juice or Water 


Put the above in a blender or a liquidizer. Add just a little water or apple juice so your smoothie can have a creamy texture. Adding juice will give it a sweeter taste.

I used water, as I didn’t have apple juice. Next time if I use water I’ll add in a little honey to make it sweeter. Good thing with smoothies is you can add whatever you like!

Please ignore the messy look of my blender ☺


Blend for a minute or so and viola your smoothie is ready! Serve immediately and drink.


TIP: Make your smoothie in small batches so that it doesn’t go off. If you have left overs you can keep in a cup or bottle with a lid and drink the following day. My sister says smoothies go off after two days. Hmm, freezing left overs might actually work. I would have to try that one-day.

A few benefits of the above ingredients are:

Blackberries (no not the phone!) are rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber. They are highly nutritious and full of antioxidants. They are also low in calories, carbohydrates, and fat making them one of the best fruits for a balanced diet. They have loads of other healthy benefits.

Strawberries are a nutritional powerhouse, low in calories, full of antioxidants, fiber and vitamin C. Strawberries boost your immunity, promote eye health and help fight cancer.

Bananas are full of vitamin B6, vitamin C, and are one of the best sources for potassium, which is an essential mineral for maintaining normal blood pressure and heart function.

Greek Yoghurt is very healthy and contains protein, reduced sugar, healthy bacteria and calcium. It can help you curb cravings and can serve as a mid day snack.

So with those benefits I listed and I haven’t even scratched the surface yet, tell me you don’t want to try out this simple yet nutritious smoothie. In fact, it takes less than 10 minutes to make.

It is very easy to come up with your own smoothie recipe. Make it fun by experimenting with different fruits you like.

I think what I like most about smoothies are you get to ingest more than 1 fruit or veg at a time. Totally cool don’t you think?

Another lovely smoothie I absolutely love is a mix of green grapes, apples and spinach. Sounds odd right? But it's totally yummy and so full of nutrients. You can find my recipe here.

Do try out either of these recipes. I would love to know what you think.

Aloted Omoba (pseudonmyn) is passionate about empowering women. She is the founder of the Super Working Mum website where she writes practical tips for the working mum who desires to optimize her relationships, resources and time. She has recently written her first e-book- Boosting Your Confidence, 15 Steps To Success In The Workplace. For your FREE copy of her ebook, please vist www.superworkingmum.com. You can find her on twitter as @superworkingmum and/or @aloted

No comments: