Wednesday 31 October 2012

Healthy Pumpkin Recipes Inspired By Nigerian Dishes... Happy Halloween!

Hi!

So today is Halloween (31st October), exciting stuff *dripping with sarcasm*

A good thing about this is - it's Pumpkin season. Loads and loads in the supermarkets to be carved... Speaking of carving, I saw this ugly, uncreative, disgusting looking carving at the gym yesterday.

If you're too lazy to carve, don't bother!

Anyway enough of my usual Wednesday grumpiness, I finally bought a Pumpkin and tried out a few recipes. I would have done more but I just didn't have the time!

  1. Roasted Pumpkin Seeds with Suya Pepper
    Well, this was the initial idea but my suya pepper stash is running LOW. I used chilli flakes which were spicy enough.
  2. Boiled Pumpkin and EggsBoiled yam and eggs <-- regular breakfast when I was growing up.  Pumpkins contain much less carbs than yam so I decided to try boiling it. I'll be honest, its obvious it's much lower in carbs as it barely has a taste. If you want to try this, I'd suggest boiling in homemade stock. I would have done this but I had none available.


  3. Pumpkin 'Asaro'
    'Asaro' is a Nigerian dish, made with yam. As you can tell, I used pumpkin as a low carb substitute.This was my favourite of the three because leaving the pumpkin to cook in the tomatoes added so much flavour to it! Definitely try this if you can!
Let me know if you try any of the above. Do you have any favourite pumpkin recipes?

****
Don't forget to VOTE for my blog in the Best Health/Fitness Blog category. Please click on the image below to vote, thanks in advance :)


No comments: