Monday 8 October 2012

How To Make Jollof Rice... with QUINOA

Happy Monday!

Yep another Quinoa recipe! See, when a reader/viewer asks, I deliver - I wasn't going to stop at one recipe, she asked for recipes!
So if you have any blog/video requests, just ask. It might take me a few weeks to deliver but I will. I'm currently working on some strength training post that Natural Nigerian requested.

This recipe was of course, inspired by a favourite in Nigeria - Jollof Rice :)

Please watch the video and rate, comment and subscribe. Also if you like the videos, please share with friends :)

(Subscribe here --> http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=HealthyDury)



Just to clarify something re: quinoa. Yes it's a superfood, it's high in protein, it's gluten and what free, high in fibre, rich in vitamins/minerals but it also contains carbs (I'm not saying you should run away from it as it's a good source of carbs unlike eg processed rice and pasta!).

Suggested serving size is 1/2 - 3/4 cup.

1/2 cup of cooked quinoa contains less carbs than the same quantity of white rice and also brown rice (better than white rice)
1/2 cup of cooked quinoa contains a similar amount of carbs as wild rice, which I can confidently say we hardly, if ever, include in a Nigerian diet.

Of course it's not just about the carb content as it has other great properties over rice as mentioned above. And remember not all carbs are bad!

I think it's worth a try, I like it! :)

3 comments:

The Frugal Exerciser - Sheila Simmons said...

Quinoa would add a lot of fiber to the recipe. I've never had it, how does it taste?

Adura O. said...

Hi :)

It tastes like a cross between brown rice and cous cous. Both times I've cooked it have been with chicken stock (1st time) and in the tomatos (2nd time), I think if cooked on it's own it'll taste bland. I'm going to try that next week.

The Frugal Exerciser - Sheila Simmons said...

I have to try it.