Monday 18 October 2010

Get Trimmer... Naija Style (Week Two)

Hi!

You're all doing well (especially those of you who check in... **hint**)

Thanks so much for the feedback so far... ladies who haven't checked in yet, please do so. I've recieved a lot of amazing emails, some people are silently taking part or being motivated by the comments.

Others are happy to see there are ladies who are a similar size as they are - this really is very important because as you start to see positive changes, they'll be more encouraged to join.

So please keep it coming :)

A few questions for you:
  • Have you decided what your method of progress tracking will be...
  • Weight (scales)? Measurements? How an item of clothing fits? Whatever you decide, please try not to check for any changes this week, let's all wait till next week. 
  • Have you had any setbacks? If yes, what did you do to bounce back from it?
  • Have you tried preparing your meals using some of the healthy cooking tips shared? If you have, how did it turn out?

EXERCISE
This week, if you haven't already, you can start to introduce some exercise. We'll focus on cardio this week.
If you're someone who is almost completely new to exercise, start very very gently:
  • If you have access to a treadmill - Warm up for 5 minutes at a gentle walking pace. Increase the speed to a pace where you have to take longer strides, find a steady but challenging pace (SIX on a scale of 1-10, 10 being very challenging). Stay here for 10 minutes. If you can, increase the incline to 2 (which simulates walking uphill) and continue walking for at least 10 minutes. Aim for a total of 30 minutes, minimum.
  • If you don't have access to a treadmill and you live in a safe enough area. Walk outside, almost similar to above - warm up for 5 minutes, increase your pace to a 6 out of 10. After 10 minutes, try to increase your pace even more.
  • Either of the above 2 can be done 3 times a week.
  • At least once a week, do something similar but a little more challenging. After your 5 minute warm up, pick up your pace to 8-9 out of 10 so you're almost jogging for 1 minute, slow down for 2 minutes and pick your pace back up for another minute. Repeat as many times as you can but again aim for a minimum of 30 minutes.
If you've been exercising for a while already (a couple of months), use an advancement of the above suggestions.
  • Treadmill: Warm up for 5 minutes (very light jog), increase your speed and maintain a steady pace (6 out of 10) for 10 minutes, increase speed a little more and continue jogging... aim for a total of 30 minutes.
  • Outdoors (safe area): Same as above...
  • At least once a week, do a basic version of interval training - Warm up for 5 minutes. Increase your pace to a 7 out of 10 for 30 seconds. Slow down to a walk for 1 - 1.5 minutes. Repeat at least 10 times.


TIPS
- If you run outdoors, please make sure it's in a safe area. Do not run with your headphones plugged into both ears as you need to be aware of your surrounding at all times.
- You need to stretch after any kind of workout. Walking IS a workout so make sure you stretch. (I'll update this post later to include some stretches.)

I'm looking forward to updates from you. Have a wonderful week.

12 comments:

Yvonne said...

Now the thing is I don't have a treadmill, I don't know If I can call where I stay safe (kinda creepy in the early/late hours). For now before I start going to a gym (have a really busy schedule with exams coming up), maybe I'll just do some (really boring) jogging in my house.

Can you come up with other form of exercises. What of Yoga? Where can I get Yoga DVDs in Lagos?

Adura O. said...

You're one step ahead of me ;-)

I was going to put up home workouts next week (youtube descriptional videos included).

How're you?

Ms zee said...

Thank you for the tips. I am so disappointed in me and hoping this week will be better. I am slowing down to 4 days now but strength conditioning is still on my plate. I got ur email, epo is red oil . I chilled on the beans, i thought it had more protein than carbs, I have been eating a lot of it. what if i make regular beans no salt no red oil but with lots of chicken strips or fish (poached or grilled) will it help? I really love beans :)

Thank you mama its my bday today so I am not dieting and or exercising I already had 1 cup cake and half a glass of wine :)

Unknown said...

I haven't been good all the time - my weakness is sweet things but I'm trying to limit them to weekends! I am eating more veg though - I've started making a portion of steamed veg along with my lunch and I actually enjoyed them yesterday!!!

Ayo said...

Went off track over the weekend.had guests over and I couldn't resist the temptation. I made stew without oil used only chicken stock and it was on point:) also made fried rice but couldn't use the 1:4 ratio you advised.

Noticed Zee mentioned beans. I thought it was good protein? Don't break my heart and say otherwise!

Yvonne said...

@Adura I'm doing great.

I am definitely feeding better and I don't feel bloated all the time anymore. But I think I may have to reduce my portions a bit more.
Waiting patiently for your home work outs and Vids.
Thanks a lot for this.

Anonymous said...

@ Adura
sorry am just replying you.my name is funto, i would like to join get trimmer list.

1511th said...

It's been challenging but I have been good even got my latte intake down to 1 a day but still drinking black coffee. Also been able to drink more than 1.5L water a day. Snacking is slowly fading away.

Though been waking up late, so wasn't able to walk to work (with that cold, thank God) and I did my Billy Blanks work out dvds for 2 days.

Here are my tips:

Make my salad on Sunday (lasts till Wednesday) - then I add chicken, tuna or eggs whenever I want to eat it.

Also try and have a bulk of vegetables grilled/boiled and available in the fridge for the week/Mid-week.

I always have a 1.5L water bottle on my desk which I fill up every morning and I challenge myself to finish it each day before I leave work (try drinking bulk of it in the morning, since you have access to the loo)

Lastly (and most IMPORTANTLY) I look at my wardrobe as much as I can and keep telling myself "It is cheaper for my to lose weight, than to lose all my acquired-over-time-fab-gorgeous-outfits and buy new (big sized) ones!

lol then again I need to lose at least 10kg in 7weeks! Adura is this possible? Please say YES IT IS!! love you, many thanks

Ayo said...

Hi Ladies,

Awwww 1511th you are a sister after my heart especially concerning looking at your wardrobe.

This week is our first 'weigh and tell' right? Looking forward to that.

Quick tip: I have realised that whenever I go off d wagon and become hard on myself it takes forever to get back on track. This is a change in eating lifestyle we are all attempting so in the words of Aaliyah (RIP)) 'at first u don't succeed, dust urself up and try again'

Eating healthy is now becoming a lot easier. I am a nursing mum and my milk supply has gone downhill but I have discovered that by supplementing and worrying less that too is no longer an issue.

Here is to fitting into that sexy number :)

Can we all please post updates? I know its a good morale booster.

Amina said...

Hi Adura I wanted to ask if it is a bad sign if you lose weight on the scale but not inches on your body, I have lost 2 kilos but most of my measurements are the same asides from my arms and thighs, I have to confess I have not been exercising though but will try to get back on it tomorrow.

Yvonne said...

Wow Thanks 1511th. I am definately doing the salad, vegetables and water thing. Very useful tip considering how I never have time.

Adura O. said...

Hey Ladies!

Ok, new (temporarily short) post is up, please comment there with your progress :)

Amina, losing inches anywhere is great :)

Great tips here :)