Saturday 3 December 2011

Moin Moin



A fellow tweep (twitter friend) mentioned she was cooking moin moin today so that inspired me to do the same :) The great thing about moin moin is it's quite a healthy Nigerian meal. Beans are high in protein and contain a moderate amount of carbohydrates :) Unlike akara, which is fried, moin moin is steamed and can be eaten on it's own as a snack or with vegetables and meat  or chicken.

Recipe was a modified version of this: Moin Moin Recipe to make it a little healthier:
  • I used coconut oil instead of vegetable oil
  • I replaced Maggi with Rock Salt and Herbs
  • I used crushed chillis
Ingredients
  • Brown Beans (~ 500-600g)
  • 3 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil
  • 4 tablespoons of ground crayfish
  • Salt and Mixed Herbs
  • 2 Red Onions
  • 1 tablespoon crushed chillis
  • 2 red bell peppers
  • 3 eggs (optional)
  • 2 tins of sardines/mackerel in spring water or brine (optional)
Moin Moin
  • Soak the beans in water for 20 minutes. Now this is the most annoying part: You have to rub the beans between your hands to get the skin off, I did this while watching X Factor so it didn't feel as bad.
  • Leave to soak for another 2 hours to soften the beans:
  • Boil 3 eggs, peel and slice. 
  • Peel and chop the onions and chop the bell peppers. Add to the bowl of beans, also add chillis and crayfish.
  • Fill your blender halfway with the mix. Add a little water and blend, note that if you don't have a strong blender, this will take forever.
  • Pour the mix into a bowl and repeat this process till it's all blended.
  • Now add the mix back to the blender (still filling it halfway) and add 2ce blended mix into another bowl. Repeat till you've 're-blended' it all.
  • I repeated this process one more time and this was the result:

  • Melt the coconut oil and add to the mixture. Also add your salt and herbs.
  • I used aluminium foil, check out this easy tutorial to make the aluminium cases: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVdFyxK8Qd4
  • Fill each container halfway with the mixture and as much or as little of the sliced eggs (1-2 in my case) and sardines. Seal. Continue till the mixture is used up.
  • If you own a steamer, use this instead. My home-made steamer: Add some water to a pot (I added 2 cups) and I used a pot stand (similar to the image below but minus the wheels:
    I inserted it into the pot of water and boiled the water
  • I placed the moin moin (bags) onto the pot stand, covered the pot and cooked on medium heat for 1 hour. I made sure I checked the level of the water every 15 minutes and refilled as required.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I've not met anyone who doesn't like moin moin

Adiya
http://museorigins.com

ChysCurlz said...

Yummy! Love it, will try it with coconut oil the next time I make it. Also, I don't know that I can cook it without maggi...addicted!

Chy
www.chyscurlz.blogspot.com

Natural Nigerian said...

Muse, I did not like moin moin for years. Now, I love it.

Adura, this looks almost pretty (if you can call food that), well done!

Cake and Socks said...

Hi Adura, now you are making me crave moin moin. Lisabi foods (in naija) now sells "bean powder" for making moin moin and akara. Have you tried it? if yes please can you share how much water you used?

aloted said...

Old post I know but was going to say you can buy grinded beans and soak for 30 mins or less. Easier and faster to clean :)