Wednesday 5 December 2012

How To Stay Healthy Over The Festive Period

... is HARD but possible. With a couple of smal treats here and there ;)

The problem is the long period over which we celebrate Christmas. It usually starts during the 2nd week of December and lasts all month!

Work parties, client parties, family parties, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day. 

And most of these parties have the usual overkill of chocolate, desserts and anything else you'd want to have only on treat days. There's hardly any 'Healthy' section in these parties. So, what to do?!?

Over the next couple of weeks I'll share tips which usually help me out during these (very!) testing times.
(And, um, this will serve as motivation and a reminder for myself because the Fitter London Christmas party is only a few days away and I've just ordered a SINFUL and YUMMY cake from Vickii.)

Tip #1: Fill your plate up with protein.

There's usually a buffet at parties, with a variety of food. As tempting as it may be, avoid trying every single thing. I know that's going to be challenging but pick one (maximum two) small portions of the rice, potatoes, pasta, pastries, etc so you do not feel like you're depriving yourself.
Load up the rest of your plate with protein, there's usually a tasty selection of turkey, chicken, sausages, meat, etc. Avoid the deep fried, breaded options of course. Don't forget your veggies!

For set menus, you're usually provided the option to choose meals in advance - apply the tips mentioned above.

Tip #2: Avoid 'seconds' or 'thirds'.

Fortunately, you don't usually have this option with set meals.
With buffets, it's very easy to go back for a second, third or even fourth round. If you plan it well enough, you can pick the right foods and not go feel the need to go back for no more than a second helping.

*ahem* Although I did go for seconds a couple of weeks ago.
I was at a friend's dinner and what helped was adding chicken, fish and sausages (those were the protein options available) and a small serving of beans (Nigerian style) to my plate for my 1st serving. By the time I was done with it, I was satisfied enough but went ahead (because my middle name is 'Greedy') and had small samples of two of the high carb options (see Tip #1 above) and a little more protein. My greed aside, I could have stopped after the first plate because of all the very filling protein I had.
Then I had some dessert, let's just agree that I was good ;)

I'm going to follow these points above and will share more next week including alcohol intake, eating in advance, and more.

No comments: